Make the Best Burgers Ever
What’s the secret to making the best burgers ever? There’s actually more than one tip that will help you make mouth-watering burgers right at home. We’ll let you in on the secrets.
- Use a medium burger meat. While 80/20 ground beef is not the healthiest choice, it makes the best grillable burgers. The extra fat content helps hold in moisture, which in turn helps hold things together. Leaner meat means hockey-puck like burgers. If you’re gonna eat a burger, splurge once in awhile.
- Minimally manipulate your meat. The more your squeeze, knead, or otherwise mash your burger, the tougher it will be. Gently fold in an seasoning, then stop touching it!
- Use the right amount of heat. Burgers cook best on a grill that’s about 450 degrees. If you don’t have a thermometer, check the temp by holding your hand about one inch above the grill grate for one second. Once you can do it for only that short time, the grill is ready.
- Flip only once. Wait until a crust has formed on the patty before you flip it over. It usually takes about three minutes.
- Add on the perfect toppings. Go for a theme (like Greek or Mexican) or just do what you love. Toppings add another dimension to otherwise humble burgers. Try avocado, chili peppers, feta, fresh herbs such as dill, or olive tapenade.
Top Five Veggie Burger Recipes
Rice Bean Burgers – Leftover beans and rice are the basis for Hilah Johnson’s easy veggie burgers.
Jamaican Bean Burgers – A fabulous bean burger infused with Jamaica’s much loved warming spices and, of course, a bit of heat.
Garnet Yam Burgers – Sweet potatoes, chickpeas, millet and spices team up for a fabulous burger.
Smoky Portobello Burger – The portobello is perfect for smoking on the grill. Its porousness allows it to absorb and intensify the smoky flavors.
Chickpea Burgers – Marinated tofu, smoked slowly on the grill makes a wonderful “burger” and is tasty in soups and salads, too.
Top Five Beef Burger Recipes
The Perfect Burger – Juicy and flavorful are the only way to describe the perfect burger.
Smoky Grilled Burgers – These fabulous burgers have the added smokiness of crispy smoked bacon in the mix—so they are doubly delicious.
Southern Barbecue Burgers – A fine addition to any burger repertoire-a tasty combination of beef, Andouille sausage, black beans and barbecue sauce!
Gourmet Greek Burger – Topped with a basil, mint mayonnaise, this is flavorful recipe is a great way to change up your burger.
Mushroom Swiss Burger – Elevate your cheeseburger with an infusion of minced mushrooms and a hint of Worcestershire sauce.