Bulkapalooza: Buy Bulk & Save
Bulk-will-doodle-do! It’s Bulkapalooza all week long. Save 15% off bulk products. (Okay, not ALL bulk. Some exclusions apply and no special orders receive the discount.) Read on for tips to become a better bulk shopper and save on pantry staples.
- Worry Less About Freshness – If you use some ingredients such as oils infrequently, buying in bulk allows you to buy just enough for your needs. Never let a big ol’ bottle of quality olive oil go rancid again! Look for oils in our liquid bulk section.
- Bulk Costs Less – Bulk products cost much less because there is not the added cost of packaging and marketing associated with them. Check out the savings especially on staples such as oatmeal and flour.
- Choose the Right Container – Make sure your container is airtight. This will keep moisture and air out, helping the food stay fresher for longer. Glass jars are best, if you concerned with the chemicals in plastics transferring to your food.
- Try Before You Buy – Before you drop bank on a pound of dried something you’ll discover you dislike only after getting home, grab a little to test out first. That’s the beauty of bulk – you can buy a little to see if you like it and buy more later if you do!
- Label Everything – It may be tempting to just stick the product number on your bag or jar and go, but you might want to eventually know if that bag of white powder is flour, baking soda, baking powder, or something else! Besides the name of the product and the PLU number, include the date that you purchased it so you know when it made it into your pantry.
- Get Cooking Instructions – Most bulk bins have the cooking instructions on the label. If you have a smart phone, you can grab a quick picture to take home with you. Don’t have a fancy phone? Ask an assistant to help you get a copy of the cooking instructions.
- Try Non-Food Bulk Items – Look for shampoo, dish soap, and other cleaners in the liquid bulk section. You can snag these name brands at lower prices than their packaged counterparts.