The Board of Directors of the Chequamegon Food Co-Op in Ashland, Wisconsin is seeking candidates for the position of General Manager. The General Manager oversees all aspects of day-to-day Co-op operations, including meeting the organizational mission and ends established by the Board.
The General Manager is empowered through the Board’s use of Policy Governance to make decisions, create policies, and authorize engagements that are consistent with Co-op policies.
The General Manager oversees all staff including the marketing manager, bookkeeper and operations manager. The General Manager is responsible for overseeing all aspects of Co-op management. Specific areas of responsibility include, but are not limited to:
Short and Long Term Planning at Management and Board levels.
- Overseeing regular financial reports and analyses, working with the bookkeeper, monitoring and preparing budgets, and developing proposals and negotiating financing as needed.
- Ensuring compliance with applicable laws and regulations and overseeing upkeep and repair of the Co-op’s real and personal property.
- Working with the Co-op marketing manager to ensure a positive public image, facilitating member and potential member engagement, and acting as the Co-op’s public representative.
- Revising and implementing legal and equitable personnel policies, the hiring and evaluation of staff, ensuring adequate training and handling promotion, pay increase, and discipline issues.
- Working with the Board to ensure timely reporting and agendas, executing tasks assigned by the Board, and attending Board and management team meetings.
The above is not a comprehensive list of tasks that may fall under each area of responsibility.
- A two-year degree in business, food management or related field.
- A minimum of five years of experience in one or a combination of the following fields; Retail Grocery, Financial Management, Restaurant Management, Personnel Management
- Demonstrated strong technology skills
- Two years prior experience working in grocery, required
- Management of multiple stakeholders in the face of change
- Development of talent
- Professionally and effectively communicate with staff, vendors, board members and customers
- Exemplify, demonstrate and infuse the organization with a service mindset
- Interpret and present financial reports
- Oversee and coordinate the Co-op system as a whole from a development and monitoring perspective
- Show courage and determination in the face of challenge and scrutiny.
This is a full-time position with a wage range based on experience, starting at $50,000 and is eligible for full time benefits. To apply, please provide a cover letter, résumé, and two references to firstname.lastname@example.org. The application period will be open immediately and the Board will begin reviewing applications in February, 2020 and interviewing candidates later in February. Questions may be addressed to the President of the Board, John Adams at the above email address.