Melon Madness: Use Up That Watermelon!
The sweltering days of mid-summer are here and you bought yourself a gigantic ol’ watermelon to beat the heat. Now, how are you gonna eat that whole thing before it turns into a pile of mush? Check out these ideas that will help you use your melon…
- IN A DRINK – Watermelon’s juiciness makes it a great base for cool summer drinks. Try it in this Watermelon-Strawberry Lime Cooler or this Creamy Watermelon Coconut Milkshake.
- IN AN ADULT BEVERAGE – If you’re inclined to add a little alcohol to your refreshing beverages, watermelon adds a brilliant sweetness. Have a go at this Vodka and Watermelon Cooler or this Spiked Watermelon Lemonade.
- IN A SALSA – Salsas are good for dips or spreads and watermelon lends a fruit twist. Dip into this Watermelon Salsa or top your chicken or pork chops with this Watermelon Peach Salsa.
- IN A SALAD – Whether you eat these salads on their own or pop them on top of some greens, you’ll love the contrast of savory and sweet in watermelon salads. This Mojito Watermelon Salad pairs well with steak, while this Summer Melon Salad with Mint & Prosciutto goes well with greens and couscous.
- IN A FROZEN TREAT – Up the cool factor (literally!) by freezing your watermelon before you gobble it up. These adorable Watermelon Popsicles use only a few ingredients and this One-Ingredient Watermelon Sorbet is even simpler.
- ON A STICK – Putting anything on a stick seems to up the cool factor and watermelon is no exception. Grab your kabob sticks and make up these Spicy Shrimp Watermelon Kabobs or Fresh Mozzarella Watermelon Skewers with Honey Lime Drizzle.
- ON THE GRILL – Yes, you can cook watermelon on the grill and the sugar will make it char delightfully! Toss some of watermelon on the barbie and make this Grilled Watermelon with Blue Cheese and Prosciutto or Grilled Watermelon Avocado Salad.
- AS A CONTAINER – Whether you want to use it as a punch bowl, a keg, or a basket, the round shape makes watermelons a perfect container. Bonus: No washing up…just toss it in the compost! Fill this beautiful Watermelon Basket with Fruit Salad or tap into this DIY Watermelon Keg or bring on the fun with this Watermelon Shark Punch Bowl.
- AS A CAKE – This Fresh Watermelon Cake is the solution for when it’s too hot to bake, but you NEED a cake!
- AS A PIZZA – Skip the bready pizza crust and use watermelon instead! This Watermelon Feta and Balsamic Pizza recipe makes a great base for all sorts of fresh ingredients.
- Watermelon is best stored slightly cooler than room temperature, so skip the refrigerator and opt for a cooler or the counter (if you use air conditioning). Whole melons will keep this way for about a week before starting to go bad.
- Use cut watermelon within 2 to 3 days because the texture and flavor begin to break down after that point.. If you find that these tips didn’t give you enough ways to use it up, cube remaining melon and toss it into the freezer.