Foods for Light Eating
It can be hard to find foods that are light on calories, but big on flavor. If you are looking for ways to lighten your menu, consider adding the following:
- Avocados: This super fruit contains a slowly digested fat that helps you feel fuller, longer. Avocados are also loaded with water and fiber.
- Beans: Packed with fiber and protein, beans help you feel fuller, faster. A recent study found that you eat roughly 10% fewer calories for every 14 grams of fiber you eat.
- Chia Seeds: These tiny seeds pack a nutrional punch, with both fiber and protein. Plus, some studies show chia seeds naturally suppress appetite by regulating blood sugar.
- Fish: Another great option for lean protein, fish also contains heart healthy Omega-3 fatty acids. The American Heart Assocation recommends consuming two servings of fatty fish per week.
- Leafy greens: A rich source of vitamins and minerals, greens also contain fiber and very few calories.
- Nuts: Filled with healthy fat, fiber, and protein, nuts make a great snack option or toss a handful in your salad or stir-fry. Beware though, nuts are high in calories.
- Peas: Loaded with protein and fiber, peas make a great choice for adding lean protein to your meal. In fact, researchers found people felt fuller after eating peas and ate less overall.
- Popcorn: Speaking of snacks, popcorn is filled with both fiber and air, making it a filling option. Plus, it also contains protein.
- Sweet potatoes: A sneaky way to add sweetness to your meal, sweet potatoes have a good amount of complex carbohydrates and fiber.
- Yogurt: With beneficial bacteria, yogurt offers an easy way to help regulate your digestive system.