10 Easy, DIY Gift Baskets
Looking for local, unique, and flavorful gifts that will delight, inspire, and nourish body and soul? Create a special gift basket for friends, family, and co-workers by choosing a selection of items that they will enjoy.
Customization is key
The key to creating a thoughtful gift that will truly be appreciated is understanding your recipient. Is she the person you turn to for health and exercise tips? Does he always have the low-down on the latest food trends? Are they regulars at the farmers market and love local farm tours?
Make a list, check it twice
Once you have settled on a theme, brainstorm a list of complementary items, determine your budget and begin exploring the options at the co-op.
Presenting your present
Baskets are nice, but a reusable lunchbox or tote bag, mason jars, metal, wooden or ceramic bowls, even backpacks or messenger bags are practical (and reusable!) options. Or wrap your items furoshiki-style, with a pretty scarf, table linens, or a co-op t-shirt.
10 Gift basket ideas
- The Foodie – Choose a style of cooking to make choosing your gifts easier. Citrus fruit, chutney, chili or curry paste, spice blends, wooden spoons, and a cookbook would make a wonderful Indian cuisine gift basket.
- The Party Host – If your gift recipient loves to entertain, give a basket loaded with goodies to help do just that. Pair fine cheeses with some spiced nuts, dates figs, fancy crackers. Add a cutting board and cheese knife for a little something extra.
- The Locavore – Give the gift of local love by stuffing your basket full of local jams and jellies, honey, maple syrup, and cheeses.
- The Office Mate – Make break time that much sweeter with a basket full of goodies designed to help your co-worker unwind. Fine coffee and teas, tea infusers, biscotti, fine chocolate, and coffee mugs all fit the bill.
- The Health Nut – We all know that person trying to get in shape. Help them along with a gift of energy bars, protein shake mixes, Emergen-C, and workout gear such as socks or a t-shirt.
- The College Student – Getting through late nights of essay writing and studying for finals can be exhausting. Give the student in your life a basket full of energy bars, trail mix, snacks, socks, Emergen-C, and a co-op gift card.
- The Spa Basket – For the stressed-out person in your life, put together a care package made for pampering. Fill the basket with hair and skin care, essential oils, bath salts, bubble bath, and aromatherapy candles. Add a little extra something with a gift certificate for a massage.
- The Cuddle Kit – Have a sweet couple on your list? Gather up a soft, fuzzy blanket, some sparkling juice, fancy chocolates, candles, and a romantic movie for the love birds.
- The Bundle of Joy – New parents will love this bundle of goodies for their new babe. Welcome the new little one with a pair of locally made shoes, a teething toy, diaper wipes, and a onesie.
- The Breakfast Lover – Make someone’s morning with a basket filled with breakfast yummies. Pair pancake mix with some syrup, English Breakfast Tea, coffee, and jam. Add a bit extra with a cast iron pan, whisk, and jam spreader, along with some cheerful napkins.
Adapted and republished with permission from strongertogether.coop.